Friday, August 1, 2008

To Florida

After I got back from Wisconsin I had just a couple of days to get ready for our trip to Florida.

Steve had a GFOA conference and we had really been looking forward to the trip.

Our first stop was at to the exhibit hall to visit all the vendor's booths. This year they opened the booths early so we made sure we were there when the doors were opened. They always have all kinds of free goodies that we scoop up for the grandkids and if you're there early you get some of the really cool stuff. Evidently when we mailed the stuff to the girls they were under the impression that Grandma and Pa-Pa had taken the items without paying for them. They didn't understand that the stuff was free and thought we had stolen things. Their folks finally explained to them that the items were advertisement for different companies and were free for the taking. One of the booths we visited had this "Lawson" guy that Steve had his picture taken with to document the experience.

One night there was a concert at the Hard Rock Cafe theater in Hollywood. We bought tickets for the concert before we found out who was playing, since we figured it would probably be good. It turned out the concert was by REO Speedwagon and we had really good seats in the fourth row, center. Of course, I didn't know any of their music, but it was still fun to watch, especially the people around us. (Kelly, even though they said no cameras I still had mine in my purse. When I saw everyone else taking pictures I took my camera out and started clicking.)
It was really nice to visit Florida, but I don't think I'll be returning any time soon. First of all, the bridges we had to cross to get there were just about more than I could handle. I've learned to deal with most bridges that are up high and especially if I can't see the water below. But those bridges where the water is RIGHT THERE at almost the same level as the bridge is just too much. Poor Stephen has to deal with my panic attacks at these times and I don't know who is more uncomfortable in these situations. So, Florida was okay, but the fact that I could be laying out by the pool and all of a sudden it would start raining was quite disruptive.

No comments: